- Pure Sea Salt
Store it in an air-tight bag or container to keep it away from sogginess.
Vindaloo is used the most in Indian culture and can be seen especially in Christmas celebrations. It can be used by both meat lovers and vegetarians. However, in the Christmas menu, pork is used.
What does a vindaloo taste like?
Vindaloo is an intensely spicy dish with various flavors including bright, acidic, and sour notes. It nearly tastes like tikka masala which is a little creamier and richer.
Beef Vindaloo Recipe with Saffron
We have created an easy recipe for Beef Vindaloo with our spice mix. Let’s make it in no time!
You will need
- 2 Tbsp Beef Vindaloo with Saffron Spice Mix
- 1 kg Chuck Steak (chopped nearly 2 cm cubes)
- 2 Brown Onions (finely diced)
- 3 Garlic Cloves (finely diced)
- 3 Tomatoes (chopped nearly 2 cm cubes)
- 3 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 Tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- 1 Cup Water
- Cooking Oil
- Sea Salt and Pepper
- Coriander (chopped to garnish)
- Mix the spice mix into tomato paste. Add beef and mix to evenly distribute the paste to every part of the beef. Put it into the refrigerator overnight for good marination, if you need to eat it the same day then refrigerate for some hours.
- Once done marinating beef, remove it from the fridge and set it aside.
- Splash the oil in a large deep saucepan, add the onions, once they become translucent, add garlic.
- Now add vinegar, tomatoes and wait for the tomatoes to break down, then add beef. Add water and let it cook while stirring occasionally until the water boils.
- Reduce heat and leave it to simmer for an hour. When the sauce thickens and the beef is tender, it is time to dish out the vindaloo.
- Garnish with coriander and serve this Kerala Christmas recipe with saffron rice as a side dish.
For extra spice, you can sprinkle chili powder or the whole red chilies grounded roughly with a mortar and pestle.
What meat is traditionally used in vindaloo?
Traditionally, pork is used in the vindaloo but now there are many alternative versions created with variations of ingredients.
Is vindaloo always spicy?
Vindaloo is a spicy, fiery hot Indian dish due to the chilies. However, you can make your own choice while grounding its spices at home by yourself.